If you operate a web hosting provider and provide Horde based webmail access, I recommend providing a virtual keyboard in order for your users to enter their passwords securely.
A virtual keyboard is a software application which allows a user to enter characters via an onscreen keyboard. Unlike typing a password using a hardware keyboard, a virtual keyboard cannot be logged using a keystroke logger.
The follow instructions outline the process of adding a virtual keyboard to the webmail login interface. A example of this can be found at: http://webmail.md3v.com.
Note: These instructions have been tested on Plesk 9.5.2 with Horde 3.3.6.
1. Download my Virtual Keyboard build from: http://www.md3v.com/dl/Virtual_Keyboard.zip.
2. Upload the “keyboard.css”, “keyboard.js” and “keyboard.png” files to your Plesk server.
3. Copy “keyboard.css”, “keyboard.js” and “keyboard.png” to:
4. Make a backup of the original Horde login template:
cp /usr/share/psa-horde/imp/templates/login/login.html /usr/share/psa-horde/imp/templates/login/login.html~
5. Edit the login template:
nano -w /usr/share/psa-horde/imp/templates/login/login.html
6. At the top of the login.html file add:
<link rel=”stylesheet” href=”keyboard.css”>
<script src=”keyboard.js” charset=”UTF-8″></script>
7. Search the file (CTRL+W) for:
<input tabindex=”<tag:password_tabindex />” name=”pass” style=”direction:ltr” />
And replace it with:
<input tabindex=”<tag:password_tabindex />” name=”pass” style=”direction:ltr” lang=”en-us” />
8. Save the file and exit nano.
9. Test your webmail to confirm that the virtual keyboard is working.
NOTE: The code included in this post may not display correctly in your browser. You may download a copy of the instructions here.
One Reply to “How to add a virtual keyboard to Horde Webmail in Plesk 9.x”
Thanks for adapting my keyboard script for Horde! 🙂 Seems to work very nicely.
Cheers and happy coding!
Comments are closed.