To use email alerts, you need to first configure SEPM to use your email server, then configure the alerts as needed.
Configure SEPM to connect to the email server:
- In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager console, click Admin.
- Click Server panel.
- Select the Management Server for which you wish to configure the email server and go to Edit Server Properties..
- In the Server Properties dialog box, click the Mail Server tab.
- Enter the Server Address, which would be an IP address, host name, or domain name of the email server.
- Enter the Port Number for the email server that sends the notifications.
- Enter the User name of the account on the email server. If you want to configure administrator email notifications, you should use the format [email protected] in this text box. If the text box is left blank, [email protected] name sends the notifications.
- Enter a Password of the account on the email server. This field is mandatory if the email server requires authentication.
Configure email alerts:
- Click Monitors.
- Click Notifications tab.
- Click the View Notifications button.
- Click the Notification Conditions button.
- Click Add.
- Choose the event that you want to be alerted on, such as Virus definitions out-of-date.
- Enter the requested information in the Add Notification Condition window that pops up.
- Click OK.
To utilize email alerts, an existing SMTP server must be present in the environment. Additionally, the credentials passed to this server from SEPM must be configured to allow sending of email.
More information is available here.