SSH access is not enabled, by default, in VMwae ESXi 4.
To enable SSH:
- Go to the ESXi console and press alt+F1, note: you will need to do this on your physical server.
- Type: unsupported, press enter.
- Enter the root password, press enter.
- At the prompt type: â€œvi /etc/inetd.confâ€
- Look for the line that starts with â€œ#sshâ€ (you can search with pressing â€œ/â€)
- Remove the â€œ#â€ (press the â€œxâ€ if the cursor is on the character)
- Save â€œ/etc/inetd.confâ€ by typing â€œ:wq!â€
- Restart your ESXi server: reboot
Note: If your trying to find the location of your virtual machines do a global find using: #find . -name ‘*.vmdk’